Ubuntu Trusty GPG error: NO_PUBKEY
While doing some routine “sudo apt-get update”, I ran across a few errors like such
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A6804EA8EAE0D85C
and much I tried was not working. Luckily I came across a very helpful blog and the approach that worked for him, also worked for me. His approach is to basically manually download the problem Key and add it.
1. Go Here
2. Search String: 0xWhateverKey (ie. my f’d pubkey was A6804EA8EAE0D85C, so I searched “0xA6804EA8EAE0D85C” )
3. Click pub link
4. Copy the entire Public Key Block
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- Version: SKS 1.1.4 Comment: Hostname: keyserver.ubuntu.com mI0ESiV71AEEAKufvtPD8/qzP50sql/G7ugLEzbhXgVQ3eSQLt0FAVqV3hii0fIgRWn5OP3U HeFMC7H3VzL764Pa6uv2mejxZ+yBDgmH+G1yzFwX1LOFhvDoS8ElXSFyg3DN2ow6pwfqzEIG t9ULoMVN47mBA12CqbA9dNtsERbIrIhA5rEfuUVDABEBAAG0HUxhdW5jaHBhZCBQUEEgZm9y IE5hdGUgTXVlbmNoiLYEEwECACAFAkole9QCGwMGCwkIBwMCBBUCCAMEFgIDAQIeAQIXgAAK CRCmgE6o6uDYXE6VBACDX5T/eWoKUL9lPBZvvlRwXgUA96LJsq5ErU1Zb+tK/FyhuAt91Hbs zz/KA4kAGCGQvjo1+r8pJZKdLsFBiT8aTGIof5+GvgFfTJz2xlzHQ8Npo4r6tnpM341S57yb iOKHaDHyL1l7RbM6SdfE+VoeLk1RurEHO5ruux31Y0fXpw== =hQEU -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
5. Paste into blank file “key1” & save in home folder or anywhere
6. cd into that folder, run command “sudo apt-key add key1″ , it’ll respond “OK”
7. then just “sudo apt-get update” and sigh with relief!
Pics and Detailed Explanation can be found at original page
Here’s a screen cap of the page in case it’s down or something: